Tuesday, September 19, 2017

LOOSE MEAT SANDWICH WITH SHAVED HAM

      As we mentioned. Today is Football Saturday at our house, so we are whipping up a quick meal for half time.


      This is something my mother made when I was growing up. It was quick and inexpensive. And we loved it. I don't have the original recipe, but think I came up with a close replacement.

Here is all you need.

1/2 POUND SHAVED HAM
1/4 CUP ONION
1/2 CUP GREEN PEPPER
1 CLOVE GARLIC (CHOPPED FINE)

ENOUGH MARINARA SAUCE TO COAT THE HAM. (BUT NOT TOO MUCH)


      I used some home made sauce, but I guess you could get something in a jar. I like some of the RAGU sauces and used them for many years until I learned how to make my own.

And I will share that recipe soon.

      You should have all your ingredients ready to go BEFORE half time. Get the onion and green pepper all chopped and ready to go. I like to chop the garlic just before I use it, so hold off on that.

      Unless the game is exciting and close, I start getting the meal ready, while there are 2-3 minutes to go. Fortunately, my Big screen is close to the kitchen. I don't want to miss any of the excitement.
Here we go

SAUTE ONIONS AND PEPPERS IN PAN WITH EVOO
WHEN 'TRANSLUCENT', ADD GARLIC AND SIMMER BUT JUST A MINUTE.


ADD MEAT (I break it up, you do NOT want a big lump)
ADD SAUCE AND STIR
HEAT TO DESIRED TEMPERATURE


IF YOU GET TOO MUCH SAUCE, YOU WILL HAVE TO ADD MORE MEAT

SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE.

      Place a nice portion of the meat on a bun and you are off to the races....

      You can also use ground beef in place of the ham. It will be close to a Sloppy Joe.

      This can not get any easier. Serve with the Macaroni Salad you made this morning, and some chips of your choice.

    And, don't forget the beer.



      Glad to report that Ball State easily won their game. Florida had to resort to a 63 yard bomb as time ran out. 

     Such is life in the Gator Nation.

     Till next time, COOK IT YOURSELF !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment