Monday, September 4, 2017

MOTHERS CHILI – MODIFIED

MOTHERS CHILI – MODIFIED

In looking back over my life, I have eaten many wonderful things. As a kid, my mothers chilli was one of my favorites. Thanks to my sister in law, I was able to score a copy of the recipe a few weeks ago. I should have asked for it years ago.

I have to admit, my mother never spiced up her food. This was due to my fathers hatred for spices and GARLIC. Of course over the years his two sisters and my wife fed him garlic all the time. But we never told him. It was one of the family secrets. Besides, it was HYSTERICAL !!

I grew up the same way. “I hate garlic”, I always said. That is until my wife fed me the greatest chicken dinner I had ever consumed. Then she told me it had a WHOLE HEAD of garlic.

This changed my tune forever.

In looking over the recipe, I had to admit that it was the poster child for BLAND. It needed to be fixed.

Now don't get me wrong. As a “super taster” I am not a fan of HOT SPICY foods. So this is NOT hot. But feel free to spice it up as you go along.

What I loved about this recipe was the texture. And it turned into the best chili I have eaten in years.

SO, with college football in full swing, let's cook up a batch of chili for half-time.

Here is mom's original, recipe....

2 TBL FAT
1 POUND GROUND BEEF
1 CUP CHOPPED ONIONS
1 CUP CHOPPED PEPPERS (Bell or Cubanelle)
1 CLOVE GARLIC (optional)
2 TSP SALT
2 ½ CUPS TOMATOES (# 2 CAN)
2 ½ CUPS KIDNEY BEANS
1 TSP CHILI POWDER

MELT FAT IN HEAVY FRY PAN. BROWN MEAT. ADD ONION & PEPPERS. SAUTE ON MEDIUM HIGH. ADD OTHER INGREDIENTS. TURN TO HIGH. WHEN STEAMING TURN TO LOW AND SIMMER ONE HOUR. IF NOT THICK ENOUGH, SIMMER MEDIUM LOW.

O.K. That's how she did it. Now, let's fix it.


2 TBL FAT – (NO … Use a layer of EVOO in bottom of pan)
1 POUND GROUND BEEF (NO, use 2 ½ pounds – MORE BEEF !!!)
1 CUP CHOPPED ONIONS
1 CUP CHOPPED PEPPERS
1 4 oz can of HATCH CHILLIS

1 CLOVE GARLIC (optional) (are you kidding? Garlic is NOT Optional – use 3 or 4 cloves)
2 TSP SALT (only use a pinch or two – The beans may add enough salt)
1 CAN TOMATO SAUCE (28 OZ.
1 CAN  (4.5 OZ) OF MUIR GLEN FIRE ORGANIC ROASTED TOMATOES


2 ½ CUPS KIDNEY BEANS - DRAINED


1 TSP CHILI POWDER

add:

½ TSP CUMIN
½ bottle of BEER !!!!! (Use that crazy beer your wife bought that you won't drink. Don;t waste the good stuff)




Use a BIG POT. ADD EVOO and heat until “shimmering”. Add onions and chopped Peppers and saute until translucent. You will add the Hatch chilli's later.




Add a “pinch” of salt and the Garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add the meat and brown it off. Don't just throw a glob of meat in the pot and start smashing it up... Break it up with your fingues and let the pieces fall into the pot.


While the meat is browning, have a beer.

When meat is “browned”, you can add the rest of the ingredients. Bring it to a boil then turn to SIMMER.



COOK FOR TWO HOURS, stirring occasionally so the bottom does not burn.

If you want this for half time, start this process about 2 hours before game time. DO NOT add the Beans until the game starts. (The longer the basic chili cooks, the better)

Check it during the game after each touchdown. (If your watching the Florida Gators, or the Cleveland Browns, just do it every half hour. Don't wait for touchdowns.)



Now you can salt to taste. I do not put pepper in my chili until I serve it. Penny adds hot sauce.

Just before half time, set the table and get the griddle out.

Don't worry about missing the half time stuff. They just talk about what you just saw and play “arm chair” coach.

Butter some bread and throw those puppies on the griddle.



Sprinkle some cheese or cheeses of your choice and cook until the cheese is nicely melted. Serve with chips of your choice. DON'T FORGET THE BEER.



Hopefully, your team wins. Oh, we were watching the Gators. 

President Grover Cleveland enjoyed the game more that I. 

Maybe next week I can watch Ball State.

No comments:

Post a Comment