Sunday, January 13, 2019

HOW TO PROPERLY START YOUR GRILL

OK, so it's been awhile. I DID NOT FALL OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH, We got a bit busy here and have not had a lot of cooking time. And a winter cold put both Penny and I out of commission for damn near a month.

Football season is over. My Gators finished up the year by beating Florida State in the final game of the regular season. Then they capped off a 10-3 season with the mauling of Michigan in their bowl game. Finished at #7 nationally.


Not bad for a team that the year before was 4 and 7.



But it is time to move on. I know it's January and all my friends up north are shoveling snow, but here in the south, we are sitting on our courtyard, with an adult beverage in our hand. 


And we are getting ready to fire up the grill.



So, so have a new grill, some charcoal and a can of lighter fluid.



Now you are ready to start that grill.

Not so fast. (As Lee Corso likes to say)






I do not believe that chemicals are good for you. I have to wonder what kind of chemicals are getting into our food, when we use them to start the charcoal.



I always had a better way.



I am not going to go into great detail about the history of charcoal. I encourage you to use your google buddy and educate yourself.



There are many types of grills and charcoal. I have my favorites and I am sure you do too.




I am not a fan of the traditional charcoal briquette. We ONLY use LUMP Charcoal. It's the real deal. And I believe there are less chemicals in the lump charcoal.




Now let's talk about fire.



I do not use lighter fluid for ANY reason. Nor do we use those briquettes that are soaked in lighter fluid.



I always liked the electric starter. Slip it under some charcoal and plug that puppy in.





Unfortunately our new house has GFCI outlets on the outside and these will trip with this type of starter.

Not wanting to have an unsafe outlet outside, I decided to go another route.



Enter my brilliant wife. (Who is Godess of Google) She showed me the proper, safe, and HEALTHY way to start your grill.


We use a Big Green Egg at our house and have for over 12 years.



Yes, I made the table



This method should work on any type of charcoal grill.

 

This is so easy, I wished I had thought of it.



Here is what you'll need.




Take three paper towels, Wad them up and soak them with cooking oil.




Put them under some charcoal and light. That's all there is to it.


No muss, no fuss. No accessory to let cool and store.









And NO CHEMICALS !!!!



Now that we have our grill started, let's do some CHICKEN. We'll talk about Grilled Chicken next time here on KILL IT CUT IT UP AND COOK IT.

But first, a cute puppy




Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment