Saturday, January 19, 2019

SOUPED UP RAGU SAUCE

Today we are making Sketti with Store bought sauce.


What???? Store bought ???? Not so fast.

It's OK, because we are going to fix it.

If you've been following our cooking quest you know I am not fan of store bought prepared food. (except for Rotisserie Chicken) But I am trying to broaden my scope and try lots of new things.

That being said, I was raised on Ragu' Sauce. I always thought it tasted OK, but after eating my wife's home made sauce, I never went back to the Ragu'.

But sometimes you need to have some quick recipes in your arsenal (along with a .38 Special)

And this is it. Use it on a night that you get home from work late, and do not want to go out.

This is so damn quick and simple. Why go out to eat when you can make this????? 

I have a friend who says, "We can't cook, we work everyday."

Seriously ???? Never heard of 'Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals'???

Or look on the internet for some cool quick recipes????

Or spend some weekend time cooking so you'll have food for the week.

Penny and I restored a 100 year old home while we both worked.

And I was traveling 50 % of the time. So don't tell me "I can't because......"

OK, I'll get off my high horse now.





Here is what you need




2 JARS OF RAGU' TRADITIONAL

½ CUP PEPPERS CHOPPED

¼ CUP CHOPPED ONIONS

3 CLOVES GARLIC CHOPPED

A FEW SHAKES OF ITALIAN HERBS AND OREGANO

8 OZ CHOPPED MUSHROOMS ( OR A NICE JAR)

1 POUND SAUSAGE

1 POUND GROUND BEEF



Now grab a beer and in less than an hour you can have a feast.




Saute Onions, then add the peppers.



When just about translucent, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.




Add the beef and sausage and saute until brown.




Add the Sauce, mushrooms, and spices.





Cook on simmer for 30 minutes (or longer if you like)

While it cooks, go play with the dog. Or talk to the wife. Or read a book.




When you are ready for dinner, boil up some water and cook your favorite pasta following the directions on the box.

This goes great with Garlic Bread or Rolls.



Don't forget a small salad and an adult beverage.







Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment