Wednesday, July 3, 2019

FIXING STORE BOUGHT PIZZA

Those of you that know me, know several things:

1 - I hate going out to eat.
2 - I love a cold beer.
3 - I hate prepared and frozen foods from the grocery store.
4 - I love PIZZA  (and a cold Beer)

With that being said, today we are going to FIX a store bought pizza.

When I was growing up in Indiana, we always went to PIZZA KING, a popular Indiana chain of Pizzerias.


Since moving from Indiana in 1989, I have tried many different kinds of pizza. Our favorite was a local spot in Sarasota Florida, called Honey Crust. It was fantastic. (although they sold out a few years ago).


We currently have 3 pizza spots with in two blocks of our home in Ocala. We've talked about Roma's on these pages. They have good food. I prefer the Meatball Sub and their Burgers.



We also have a MARCOS  PIZZA


  and a Pizza Hut.



One of our favorite local spots is the BLUE HIGHWAY Pizzeria.



We have ordered from all of them and Blue Highway was by far the best.

The only problem is the price. The last time we ordered from Pizza Hut, the bill was close to 25.00 dollars. Add in a five dollar tip for the delivery person and you are close to thirty bucks for a pizza. 

Convenient ? Yes. Worth the money ?  HELL NO.

Not acceptable.  

 
That's why we usually make our own pizza here at home.




But every once in a blue moon, when in a pinch, it's nice to just throw something in the oven. Then you sit on the porch (with a cold beer) while it cooks.




Last week, Penny and I were spending our morning at Sam's Club,
 

and I spied a pre made, take it home and cook it PIZZA.

I mentioned to the boss that maybe, just maybe we could fix it. So we decided to give it a shot.

Here is what we took home.




Now, let's gather a few things to jazz it up.

Onions
Green Peppers
Mushrooms (for me)


Extra Pepperoni (for her)
Red Pepper Flakes (also for her)



Oregano


MORE Mozzarella Cheese (for me)

and some Garlic Salt
 
Now let's fix it up.


 I started by moving all the Pepperoni to one side (for her) I can take or leave Pepperoni. (I would rather leave it)

Add fixings to your liking. I like onions, green peppers, lots of mushrooms, and a boatload of of cheese.

Penny likes 4 tons of Pepperoni.

She stuck in some Parmesan Cheese on her half 

The directions said to bake it right on the oven rack.  I imagine that is to keep the bottom crisp.

We cooked it according to the directions on the box. The only thing we did different was to use the "convection" setting




When I removed it from the oven, I removed the rack along with the pizza and just set the whole thing on top of the stove. We cut the pizza with a large pair of cooking scissors, thus keeping the bottom up in the air (on the rack)

Here are the results:



I was shocked. It was damn good. More crispy than carry out pizza in the box.



The best thing of all:  IT COST 10 BUCKS.    Not $30.00  Add another dollar each for the extra ingredients and we each got  Pizza for 6 Dollars

Yes, our home made is better, but is more labor intensive.

I can eat this pizza every once in a while.

Give it a try, you'll thank me later.

Live Long and Prosper, Keep Cooking !!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment