Saturday, July 20, 2019

PORK CHOPS WITH RED EYE GRAVEY

Ok, I admit it. I love Southern Soul Food. Most of my favorite Internet cooks make Soul Food, and I am always on the hunt for a good Soul Food Recipe.

This recipe was not advertised as Soul Food. But it does have the main Soul Food ingredients. Pork Chops, Gravy, and huge portions.

All is good in life.

One of my favorite You Tube Chefs is the "One Pot Chef"

https://www.youtube.com/user/OnePotChefShow

Check him out. I have made many of his recipes.

The reason I mention him is to bring us to a ONE SKILLET meal.

Pork Chops with Green beans and Red Eye gravy.

Lets take a look at what our goal is with this one.



Doesn't that look good??? Let see if we can duplicate it.

Here is what you'll need.

First, an adult beverage.




And a helper




  Let's get started.
 

2 TBL Vegetable Oil

¾ lb Fresh Green Beans (snapped)


1 ¾ tsp kosher salt

1 tsp ground black pepper


4 Nice Pork Chops (about ¾ inch thick)


½ Cup chopped Country Ham





¼ Cup Finely chopped Onion


1 ½ Cups of Chicken Broth


½ Cup water (if needed)


½ Cup of Brewed Coffee


1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour


½ Cup of whole Milk


1 TBL Creole Mustard

1. In a 12 inch cast iron skillet, heat 1 TBL oil over medium high heat. Add the beans, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until beans are crisp - tender & light, About 8 minutes.



 Remove from skillet. Loosely cover and keep warm



2.     In the same skillet, heat 1 TBL oil over medium heat. Sprinkle Pork Chops with salt and pepper. Add chops to skillet and cook until your meat thermometer reads 145 degrees in the thickest part of the chop. (about 4-5 minutes per side). 



Remove and loosely cover to keep warm.



3.     Add ham and onion to skillet, cook until lightly browned (about 3 minutes) Stir in broth and coffee, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the skillet with a whisk. 




4.     In a small bowl add the flour. Whisk in the milk, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. 


Whisk milk coffee into the milk mixture, bring to a boil, whisking constantly, Reduce heat to simmer and simmer until thickened to your liking. (2 to 3 minutes) 

Here is where I messed up. Sorta.  I started step 4 too early. My gravy started out LUMPY and UGLY. I had a train wreck on my hands.


 Then Penny pointed out that I had totally skipped step number three. So I added step 3 to step 4 and it all came out fine.

Moral of the story: Slow down. Don't rush

If it is too thick you can add the water. (I did not need it)  Whisk in the mustard.



5.      Place the pork chops back into the skillet and surround them with the beans. Using a large spoon, spoon some gravy on top of the chops.




Serve with an adult beverage (or two)


 We pulled a couple of twice baked taters out of the freezer to go with our meal. Preheat oven to 350 and cook until taters are good and hot. (about 45 minutes) 



I can not tell you how good this was. You gotta make it. It only takes about 45 minutes and is well worth the effort !!!!!
  
So, how did I do ???  

 Magazine picture

and my version 


You decide.......

Live Long and Prosper.  And keep COOKING !!

No comments:

Post a Comment