Friday, September 20, 2019

SAUERKRAUT & PORK ON W.T.F. THURSDAY



W.T.F. Thursday came about because my wife

complained that there were many foods that I

refused to consider eating, so she never 

experimented much with her cooking. I 

explained for years that all she had to do was 

have some lunch meat on hand and if I didn't

like her newest concoction, I would eat a

sandwich. It took years for her to come to

terms and accept this offer.


The name honors a friend who went to law 

school at Auburn University. While 'Gator' was

in school, a bunch of his friends would come

over on Saturday night and bring what ever 

food they happen to have left over. It all went 

into a big pot and was known as “W.T.F. 

Saturday.”
 

So we have named THURSDAY night in his 

honor. Why a 'Gator' would go to Auburn beats

the hell out of me, but now Penny gets to cook 

whatever the hell she wants and I can either eat

it, or or have a sandwich.
 

Each Thursday, I am treated to some new 

concoction that I would NEVER order out. 

And I have to admit most of the W.T.F. 

Thursday meals are pretty damn good.
 



I have been trying all kinds of foods. Asian, 

Mexican, Jamaican and many that I have no

idea of the origin. 

 
 

So we came to this W.T.F. Thursday. Penny

decided to honor my German heritage with 

SAUERKRAUT.

I was not a 'Happy Camper' when I heard that 

idea




Some background.
 

My mother was born into a large German 

family. The last born, her mother died shortly 

after mom's birth.


 My mother sitting on grandpa's lap
 

Unable to properly care for a newborn, mom 

was adopted by a good friend of the family.
 

I loved my grandma and grandpa Jennison. My

middle name honors them. I never met my

natural grandfather. But later in life, I did get to

meet all my Aunts, Uncles, and most of my 

cousins. I still keep in contact with my cousins

via Facebook.
 

But I digress.
 

I HATE SAUERKRAUT. Period. But my wife 

was firm. “It's W.T.F. Thursday, and a deal is a

deal.”



Yeah, I know dammit. 

 

But this is a cooking blog, not a family history.

So let's watch the boss (Penny) make this 

thing.
 


Start with 4 pounds of boneless Pork Ribs.




Salt & Pepper the pork. (Go easy on the Salt)



Brown the Ribs in the pressure cooker. 



Be sure to read, understand and follow all of 

the safety rules that come with your Pressure 

Cooker. Knowing how to properly use your 

pressure cooker will greatly reduce the risk of

personal injury. 


 (I watched way too many New Yankee 

Workshops)





Open your bag of Kraut and rinse it well in a 

colander.





Put it in the pressure cooker and add the 

browned pork on top.



Add 2 cups of water
 

Add 1 tsp of Caraway seeds (ground)
 

Cook for 60 minutes on HIGH





Drink beer and play with the dog. 






After 60 minutes, CAREFULLY release the

pressure and you are ready to serve.
 

So, did Lee survive his Kraut Encounter ???




So I was somewhat less than correct in the 

assumption that I HATED Sauerkraut.


 
As you can see I did not have a HUGE helping 

but I did eat some. And it wasn't all bad. The 

HIGHLIGHT was the PORK. It was the best I 

ever ate. Period. SO moist and tasty.



As with most of Penny's W.T.F. Thursday 

meals, I discovered that I can eat many more 

things than I thought I would. I may not 

LOVE them like Steak and Fries, as long as I 

have a cold beer I am just fine.

So put on your big girl panties, and give W.T.F.

Thursday a try.

Just make sure you have lunch meat in the 

fridge.

You can thank me later, I gotta get ready for

GAME DAY.


Live Long and Prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment