Monday, October 14, 2019

BRAISED SHORT RIBS with PEPPERS AND ONIONS

Hello Foodie Friends, and welcome back to Kill It Cut It Up And Cook It.

Today we are going back to Mexico.

SSHH !! Don't tell anyone, I am not supposed to like Mexicanese food..


Our football today does not start until 8 PM. I know that's past my bedtime but I'll stay up for this one.

My Gators go into Death Valley and take on a VERY VERY good L.S.U. team head to head. 
 It's going to be rough.

(Spoiler alert for you non football fans. It was ROUGH. But we stayed with them until 7 minutes to go. Then the you know what hit the you know what.)

Let's move on.(Please)

So I am calling this Mexican food because the recipe came from a Mexican Cook Book.

But Braised Short Rib recipes are everywhere. But the spices are out of this world.

But, like I said I do not like Mexican food and vowed not to have it on these here pages.

So sue me. It's Penny's fault.

I think I felt that way because I never had HOME MADE Mexican food. My only experience had been in CHAIN Mexican restaurants.
Figures doesn't it?

So, let's jump into this one.

Here is what you'll need

2 lbs Boneless Beef Short Ribs, trimmed and tenderized
    (The store did not have exactly what we wanted, so we punted.
    Just a little football metaphor You folks at F.S.U. can google the word- m-e-t-a-p-h-o-r)




Salt & Pepper

2 TBS Vegetable Oil

2 Large White Onions Sliced Thin 

I know it looks like TOO MANY. Trust me


2 Large Red Bell Peppers, cut into ¼ Inch Wide strips



1 Jalapeno Chile, sliced thin (Optional)

1 ½ TBL minced fresh Oregano or 1 ½ tsp Dried



4 Garlic Cloves, minced


1 tsp Ground Cumin

1 tsp Ancho Chili Powder

½ tsp Ground Coriander

Pinch of Ground Cloves

1 (14.5 ounce) Can of diced Tomatoes


2 TBL Chopped Fresh Cilantro

2 tsp Lime Juice





Pre Heat Oven to 325 degrees and set Rack in the lower middle position

Pat Beef dry with paper towels. Season with salt & pepper

Cut Beef into strips and Tenderize

Heat 1TBL oil in your pan on medium high until it almost smokes

Brown the beef well, about 4-5 minutes each side

 I had so much beef, we browned them in 2 batches

Transfer to plate

Add onions, bell peppers, and ¼ tsp salt into the pan and cook over medium high heat until softened. About 8 to 10 minutes





Stir in jalapenos, oregano, garlic, cumin, chili powder, coriander, and cloves. Cook about 30 seconds.

 

Stir in tomatoes (and the juices) scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.


Nestle the browned beef into the skillet along with any accumulated juice on the plate.


Cover and move to the oven




Cook until forks slips easily in and out of the meat. Should cook for about 2 hours

You can now have an adult beverage.

And play with the President.



I guess, I'll just have another beer


Remove from the oven. Take the beef out of the skillet and onto a platter. Tent with foil.


Let vegetables settle for about 5 minutes, then spoon any fat from the surface.


Stir in the cilantro and lime juice & season to taste with salt & pepper



Spoon mixture over the beef and serve.


 Not a very good picture, but you get the idea

This was so, so, so good. Just a little bit of a burn to it

How good was it?

Penny gave me a standing ovation. (That is a HUGE compliment)

And wait until you see what we did with the left overs.

That's NEXT TIME on Kill It, Cut It Up, and Cook It.

Oh, and the football ???

 Can we move on ????  (PLEASE)

Remember two things friends.

1)  Eat at Home !!!!




and   

2)  Live Long and Prosper


See you next time


No comments:

Post a Comment