Tuesday, July 25, 2017

HOME MADE KETCHUP


     Earlier we talked about making Thousand Island dressing. Our recipe calls for 2 Table spoons of Ketchup. And this is the ONLY ketchup I will use.

     So as promised, this is how we make it.

     Full disclosure. This is another gem from Penny, who has made this for years. 

----------------------------------------------------------

      I love French Fries and Onion Rings. And ketchup goes so well with either of these wonderful side dishes.

     But the ketchup you buy at the store is basically tasteless. And is full of SALT.

     Why put salt on your fries then eat them with MORE SALT ????? 160 MG ?? That's 7 % of your salt intake per day !!!!


      So let make some Ketchup that is not only better tasting but better for you as well.

INGREDIENTS

8 OZ Tomato SAUCE
6 OZ Tomato PASTE 


2 TSP White Vinegar

¼ CUP SUGAR or Sugar like stuff.
¼ CUP Ground CLOVES
¼ TSP Ground ALL SPICE (This adds a TON of flavor)

      Now, this is were the recipe gets complicated and may be difficult for you Florida State grads.

      Mix all the above INGREDIENTS in a BOWL. And WHISK it all together.


      When the mixture is properly mixed, you may put it into a jar and refrigerate.

     That's all there is to it. The whole thing takes about ten minutes to put together.

     I love the taste. The CLOVES and the addition of the ALL SPICE elevate this to a whole new taste.

     I was reminded today of how much I love this recipe. Penny and I ran over to Crystal River, FL so she could get some Crab Meat for a friends dinner she is preparing. We stopped at a great place and I had a burger. (yes, I eat burgers at a Sea Food place. Sue me) Anyway their fries were delicious but the ketchup came out of one of those red bottles.

     No wonder I like eating at home more than going out.

     SO give this one a try. You won't be sorry.

     You can thank me later.

     COMING UP NEXT :  Home made Cream of Mushroom Soup. It is so good, you're gonna wanna slap your grand ma.

No comments:

Post a Comment