Thursday, July 27, 2017

CONDENSED MUSHROOM SOUP

      I make a large number of casseroles. They are quick and easy. And they taste good. But almost everyone that I find calls for “Condensed Cream of something Soup.” 


      I grew up on this stuff, never knowing how much better home made could be.

      My wife panics when ever I bring home a can of this “soup”. She hates it and says it tastes like sawdust. So we decided to go searching for something better.

      There are many recipes for Condensed Soup available on the web, and this is one that I tried. I have to admit that I enjoy watching the 'Pioneer Woman' on the Food Network. With a ranch, some kids and a hungry husband, this lady HAS to be good.


So lets give it a shot. (I doubled the recipe for a large casserole.)

Ingredients 

      1/4 cup Butter (I used 'salted butter')

     6 ounces, weight Mushrooms, Finely Chopped 

     1/4 cup Finely Diced Onion 

     1 clove Garlic, Minced 

     Salt And Pepper, to taste (I left out the salt) 

     1/4 cup All-purpose Flour 

     1/2 cup Heavy Cream 

     1/2 cup Chicken Broth 

  

     In addition to her increments, we ADDED



    1 TBL of fresh TARRAGON
   ¼ TSP Celery seed

     I wonder how a little beer would taste??

Preparation

Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. 


Add mushrooms and onions and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. 


 Season to taste with salt and pepper. 
 
Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add flour and cook for an additional 2 minutes. 


 
Quickly whisk in cream and chicken broth until smooth. 


 Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. (ADD the Tarragon and celery seed) Remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed–you want it to be saltier than normal, since this is a condensed soup. (I don't advise any more salt)

 
     Since we used it immediately, I have not tried the following steps.

Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a jar or freezer-safe container. Once soup is completely cool, you can store it in the refrigerator or freezer.

To reconstitute, add 1 1/2 cups of liquid, such as chicken broth, milk, water, or a combination.

Note: A 10 3/4-ounce can of condensed mushroom soup is about 1 1/4 cups. This recipe makes 1 1/2 cups of condensed soup.

Recipe inspired by Ali of Gimme Some Oven.



     We mixed our soup with 2 Cups of cooked rice and placed chicken parts on top and baked for about an hour. 




It was very good, but I think next time I will leave out the garlic. 


      YUM YUM !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment