Friday, November 10, 2017

RESTAURANT REVIEW: RED'S BREAKFAST & LUNCH


8411 N CARL G ROSE HWY
HERNANDO, FL 34442
352-344-4322
OPEN TUESDAY – SUNDAY 7 AM – 2 PM





Every now and then you realize you have driven past a place for years and years, never giving a thought to stopping. Thus was the case with Red's Breakfast and Lunch on State Road 200 SW of Ocala.

My wife had breakfast there years ago, and always wanted to go back. I have heard so many good things about this place over the years, so finally we took the drive from NW Ocala for lunch. And what a reward we received.

One of the things I miss about Indiana, (there aren't that many) are the Breaded Tenderloin Sandwiches we ate as kids. Every restaurant in Muncie served them. In Iowa, they are known as “Skinnys” but they will always be “Breaded Tenderloin Sandwiches” to me.

I was happy to see they had a “Pork Sandwich” on the menu, so I decided to give it a try. They serve them on a Hoagie Roll, but was more than happy to accommodate my request for a regular burger bun. They can call it what they want, but it was a dead ringer for what I ate for lunch when I was growing up.


I traveled all over the country before I retired, and let me say that I have never had a better lunch.

The sandwich came with TWO huge pieces of tenderloin piled high. It melted in my mouth and brought back many memories from my youth. The portion of fries was also HUGE, and the coleslaw was “off the hook”.

Penny had one of the biggest burgers I have ever seen. It is in the running for the “best burger” in Ocala.

The service was spot on. Quick, friendly, and willing to accommodate our needs. The menu has a massive offering of dishes. There is something for any taste. And the prices are affordable too.

And what can I say about the decor? It was a walk back in time. It made me feel right at home.

So if you are looking for great food with service to match, Reds is the place to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment